As the cost of food continues to rise, you may be one of many Georgians who are considering growing your own food this year. Whether you want to plant a vegetable garden to save cost or simply explore a new hobby, we’re here to help you at EarthCare Landscape Management, LLC.
If you are new or inexperienced, it’s easy for vegetable gardening to seem like a daunting task. After all, the success of your harvest depends on careful timing, pest prevention and other specific care strategies.
Tips for a New Gardener
To get you started, here are some of the most noteworthy tips for your new vegetable garden in 2023:
- #1 Raise Your Beds: When you raise the bed of your vegetable garden, you gain more control over the soil. Using quality soil from a nursery can help prevent soil compaction, which is a major threat to the success of your garden.
- #2 Mix it Up: Don’t be afraid to put some variety in your garden. Mixing up your veggies can create a better visual appeal as well as help stop pest invasions.
- #3 Plant Veggies that Need Similar Care: While you’re mixing things up in your garden, keep in mind what each plant variety needs. It is easier to care for vegetables that all have similar needs, especially if you are a first-timer.
- #4 Control Weeds Daily: You’ll find that it is more effective to maintain the weeds in your veggie garden on a daily basis rather than trying to rescue your garden after weeds have completely taken over. You can do this by simply pulling the visible weeds you see in your garden every day or every other day. This is a simple weed control strategy that only takes seconds out of your day and won’t introduce chemicals into your vegetables.
- #5 Don’t Miss Peak Harvest: Last but not least, know the peak picking time of your vegetables and be ready to take action. Far too many gardeners make the mistake of waiting too long to harvest, which can result in over-ripe veggies that taste bad or fruits that have rotted inside.
Ready to become a vegetable gardener this year? Regardless of what your landscaping goals are for this new year, we are ready to assist you. Our team has the knowledge, skills and tools you need for an attractive and functional outdoor space.
Posted on behalf of
Phone: (706) 768-6991
Mo-Fr 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM Sa 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM Su Closed