Whether it is a game of family cornhole or a casual neighborhood barbeque, the warmer temperatures provide a welcome invitation for Georgians to spend more time outdoors. Unfortunately, pesky mosquitoes are also waiting to make their debut and won’t die off until the temperatures get drastically cooler again. In the meantime, it is important to do what you can to ensure these frustrating bugs don’t ruin your backyard fun.
Mosquitoes are unwanted guests, not only because they cause itchy bites but also because they are considered dangerous. Mosquitoes are known for carrying deadly diseases, including the Zika Virus, Malaria, West Nile, Yellow Fever and more!
Ways to Prevent Mosquitoes
Not willing to apply bug spray every time you go in your own backyard? We get it. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to control or even eliminate mosquitoes from your backyard landscape, including the following:
- Get rid of any excess or standing water (even if it is the size of a bottle cap!)
- Consider planting mosquito repelling plants (basil, catnip, citronella and mint)
- Use essential oils on outdoor window seals or decks
- Tidy up your yard (piles of leaves, toys, etc)
- Mow your lawn
- Switch to insect lighting
- Invest in a professional mosquito treatment
At EarthCare Landscape Management, we want our customers to enjoy their backyards all year long. When it comes to your coveted warm-weather activities, don’t let mosquitoes stand in the way of your outdoor comfort and fun. Call our experts today to learn what things you can implement to lower your family’s mosquito bites!